Thursday, September 22, 2011

Quilted Sunglass Case

So, I'm notorious for scratching up my really cheap pair of sunglasses... so this project was out of necessity.  I used to have a super cute Vera Bradley sunglass case, but it has since gone missing, so here's a how to on my version.

Check out the Video Tutorital!

You will need:
two coordinating fabrics and cotton/polyester batting
(bias tape optional)

Cut out a peanut shape pattern (I used the exact same pattern from the Sleep Mask Tutorial). You will need 2 pairs of each cut out and layer them lining (right side down), batting, and outer fabric (right side up).


Quilt your pieces together using your favorite stitch.




Using store bought bias tape (or make your own with 1.5" fabric strips). Pin a 6" strip to one end of the quilted piece, hiding all exposed edges. Add your bias tape to the second quilted piece, but on the opposite side (a mirror image). 



Sew close to the edge of the bias tape.



Now, stack your two pieces with the outer fabrics together. You will make a reinforced stitch across the bias tape. Then continue your stitch around the edge of the case with about 1/4" seam allowance leaving the end of the case with the bias tape open .



Flip right side out... and ta da! I wanted to make a little closure with a metal snap on the inside and embellish with a few buttons....




Here's my finished product! It fits my smaller profile sunglasses and my everyday glasses... No more scratches for this girl.



Sew. Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial! I used to make my little purses when I was 10 :) Btw, thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. Hope you'll continually link up in my Creative Blogger's Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete